Sunday, August 07, 2005

Worry

Below is one of my favorite Bible passages. It is one that I turn to quite often, for I find it quite easy to worry. My worry is about finances. We have never starved or been without clothing, and yet I can worry the night away if I don't catch myself.

If it is at 3am, and something wakes me up, the devil often whispers worries in my ear. If I listen to him, I stay up all night, tossing and turning on my bed, worrying about taxes, bills, insurance, health, groceries, etc.

But if I pick up my Bible and read Luke 12:22-31, Jesus speaks to me. "Do not worry," He says. It is then that I remember that I am loved by a caring God.

This is God's promise for us:

"And He said to His disciples, "For this reason I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on.

For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing
."

Say that last line out loud. You know it's true!

"Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds!"

Watch the birds that come to your yard. They do not store up their food. They have to find it daily. God provides even for them.


"And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life's span?"

I hear Jesus' sense of humor in that line.

"If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters? "

To God, adding an extra hour to your life is as easy as adding a spoonful of sugar to your morning coffee. If you can't do that very simple thing, why worry about anything?

"Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.

But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith!"


I grow daylilies. Each daylily opens for only one day and then closes that bud forever. Whenever my daylilies open, I say aloud, "Even King Solomon in all his finest was never dressed as one of these." Inside the lilies are beautiful details. If God dresses these flowers, which are only open for one day, in such loveliness, then how much more will He take care of you?

"And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying."

Of course, you need to shop for groceries and plan your meals, but Jesus is saying that you do not need to worry and obsess over these needs. Focus on God, focus on God's work, and He will provide your basic necessities. Have you ever been naked, without a stitch to wear? Have you ever starved? Let those worries go.

"For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. "

I think Jesus spoke tenderly when He said, "Your Father knows that you need these things." He knows. He cares. He loves you.

"But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you." (Luke
12:22-31)

Seek God. Let Him take care of the details.

He knows that you need these things.

by Lori Seaborg

1 comment:

Peg said...

Thank you for the great reminder! It is sooooo true! God is in control!