Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My Favorite Kitchen Gadgets

1. Dough Scraper (Pastry Scraper; All-Purpose Scraper)
This gadget is sometimes made of a piece of wood with a metal "blade" on it, or it may be made out of plastic, as mine is. I suggest you get the plastic one, as it is very durable yet can be placed in the dishwasher to clean and sanitize it. I use the scraper to scrape bread dough off my kitchen counters, to scrape a non-stick pan clean (mine is plastic, remember), to scrape dough or other gunk off my wooden spoons, to lift cut veggies or garlic from the counter, and to cut dough. It is also great for cleaning the gunk that gets stuck next in the crack between the counter and the kitchen sink. It is my #1 favorite kitchen gadget. See one on Amazon.


2. Smooth Edge Can Opener
I love this can opener, because it not only doesn't leave a can-edge that can cut you, but it also leaves you with a lid that is useable. If we don't use our can of peaches in one sitting, for example, I can just replace the can lid until the next time. The only disadvantage that I've found is that the can lid doesn't sink into the tuna can for easier tuna-draining. Click here to see one.


3. Measuring Scoops
I found measuring scoops made out of metal at my local Kitchen store
outlet. They look kind of like garden spades. I use them for flour, for grains (rice, beans, wheat, grits), and for sugar.

4. Bread Machine (:::shh!:::)
I can't believe I am admitting to using a breadmachine, and I can't believe that I finally bought one. I've always been a bit of a purist about bread-making. There is something beautiful about kneading bread on a wooden board. While kneading, I usually close my eyes as I rock back and forth, and I think of all the women who are likely kneading at that very moment: Americans, Canadians, Arabs, Israelis, Mexicans, Russians, Swedes, Africans. Those women are kneading yeast breads like mine, unleavened breads like tortillas, and things I can't even pronounce. Then I think of all the women who used to knead but have since passed on, which leads me to think of Mary and Martha, Eunice, Naomi, Ruth, and other Biblical women.

I won't give up kneading, and will still make bread by hand occasionally. But I realized that because of the time involvement, I just wasn't able to keep up with making all of my family's bread by hand. So I bought a Zojirushi bread machine with the money Tim gave me for being our family accountant at tax time.

I've been using the bread machine for dough, mostly. I can schedule this machine to have dough done by a certain time. For example, this afternoon, I put in the ingredients and timed the machine to be done by 6pm. At 6pm, I was ready to finish the dough into Cinnamon Swirl Bread.
Click to see my Zojirushi bread machine, which I bought because of the horizontal loaf, good product reviews, because my product-picky brother has one and loves it, and because of the timer.

Keep kneading by hand once in a while, but in the meantime, enjoy
adding another servant to your home in the form of a bread machine.

5. Grain Mill
I have just begun grinding wheat into flour for maximum nutrition. I waited years to finally buy a grain mill. They are pretty expensive! Finally, I was able to buy one, and I just love this mill, the NutriMill. It creates a flour as fine as that in the grocery store. Click here to see the NutriMill.

Another fine mill is the WhisperMill, but when I tried to order it a couple of months ago, the manufacturer had run out of mills. If you order it, ask first if it is available. I tried to order the Whisper Mill before I got the NutriMill, because it is rated equal to the NutriMill but is $50 cheaper, but could not find anyone who had it in stock. Click here to see the Whisper Mill.

6. Kitchen Aide
My parents buy each new bride to the family a Kitchen Aide. I have this white classic version, which has served me well for over a decade. My parents have always had a Kitchen Aide. They have used it to grind wheat, make sausage, shred cheese, and of course use it to make meringues or cookies (some of those activities require extra attachments). They even took one to Papua New Guinea, where my dad would turn on the generator so mom could mix bread or cookies in her Kitchen Aide. If you love to bake, this mixer would be such a blessing to you. The classic version is made of the same sturdy stock as the fancy ones, so buy that if you can't afford the more expensive ones.

For $100 more, the Artisan version has very cool colors, a pouring shield ($17 value), a slightly bigger bowl, and 100 more watts of power. When I buy a new Kitchen Aide, I will upgrade to the Artisan one, but it's going to take a looooong time for mine to break. My parents' mixer lasted over 20 years, and may be still running. They gave it to other missionaries when they left Papua New Guinea to work in the U. S.

The professional version is about $200 more than the classic version. It has more power, and is prettier, but unless you are doing really big batches of dough, I don't think you need to spend the money on this one. Buy the Classic or the Artisan.

(p.s. As I was researching for this article, I noticed that Amazon.com is offering a great deal right now. You get $25 off a $125 purchase AND free shipping AND no sales taxes (at least in most states). I bought my bread machine, above, on one of these sales and it saved me a ton of money over buying it at a store.)

by Lori Seaborg

1 comment:

Peg said...

Ooooh, you really got my attention with this post. I love all kitchen tools. I am actually a Pampered Chef consultant. Are you familiar with us? I have so many gadgets, but I could never have enough. I don't have a grain mill, though! Cool!