Friday, August 19, 2005

Schooldays at Seasons Academy

I've tried to-the-minute schedules, to-the-hour schedules, Now-we-shall-do-Arithmetic schedules, and unschedules (as in, no schedule at all and the children roam freely). Our new schedule is working like a dream so far, because it is so tailor made.

I think the key to schedule-making is to create one that suits your personal fancy and to let go of how you think it "should" be. My fancy is to be flexible to a fault. But I recognize that I need structure to my days because I don't think the X-Box makes a very good teacher, and I don't like the kids wearing their p.j.s at noon and eating Froot Loops for dinner just because I didn't plan the evening meal.

I looove reading other's schedules. So here is my newest schedule, which is serving to keep us focused without stifling our freedom:

Schooldays at Seasons Academy (Seaborg & Sons...get it?...& daughters, too)

Starting by 7am:

Up and walking with Toby, the dog, up the hill to see the farmer's cows and the sunrise (oops, it already came up!). And to pray while walking. Back at the ranch (that would be the house), visit my birds to tell Princess, the rooster, to crow and the hens to lay lots of eggs today. Go back inside to do a little Bible reading and journaling in my Scriptural Journal with a bit of breakfast. Let the kids wake up slowly and watch t.v. or play on the computer until 8 (we have no "early birds" in this family, so waking up slowly helps). Write out 3 chores for the older kids to do.

At 8am:

Lay out a simple breakfast for the kids (remind self that schooldays are not the days for three-course breakfasts, even if in the mood for it). Go through the house in a circle, starting with the Master Bedroom, picking up laundry, making beds, and straightening. Start a load of laundry. End in the kitchen to clean up after breakfast.

Meanwhile, the t.v. is off at 8am, and the three older children (10, 8, 5) pick up assigned floors (2 each), empty the dishwasher, fold laundry, and do 3 extra chores each (not the 5yo).

Make sure the kids are dressed with teeth brushed. Change and dress the baby (2).

At 9am:

10yo and 8yo start school by doing papers that I placed in a folder on their desks the night before (copywork, Math papers, Language -- all A Beka, we live in the same area as Pensacola Christian College after all, except the copywork which is usually Scripture or American phrases, like the Pledge).

I continue doing chores (more laundry, extra cleaning, baking, dinner prep) within earshot of their schoolwork.

I teach the 5yo a little K5 stuff, or let him watch educational t.v. with his 2yo sister.

At 10am:

Bible class with Mama. We all pull out our Spiritual Journals, which is a cheap composition book in which we created a "Table of Contents" on the first few pages. Each day we (10, 8, and me) write the Scripture verse of the day (today: "Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord." - Colossians 3:20). We briefly discuss the verse, then the children are to write what they think about the verse, or draw a picture illustrating something about the verse. Our 5yo and 2yo draw on a blank sheet of paper.

After this, in the Table of Contents, we write the date, Scripture reference, and page number of our notes.

I read a section from Hero Tales while the kids draw or color a Biblical-themed picture (Today we read about Martin Luther. I love this book, by the way! Highly recommended for elementary-aged kids. Our favorite lesson so far was Dr. Livingstone, who was so brave against the lions and witnessed to many in Africa).

We again say the Scripture verse of the day, since it will need to be memorized and said to Daddy (for the 5yo, I shorten it to "Children obey your parents").

At 10:30am-12:00pm:

Mondays: Practical Skills (sewing, whittling, soap-making, self-sustainment, animal care, homesteading, candlemaking, etc.) This is my favorite class to teach. Sometimes Daddy gets the boys while I get the girls. I think it is essential to teach our children how to take care of their families independent of the grocery stores. You never know if a time will come when they will need to know this stuff. If they are missionaries in a primitive place, they will certainly need to know it!

Tuesdays: Art and Music (as in, play fine art music such as Beethoven while doing art) Art is currently drawing 3-D objects by shading.

Wednesdays: Practical Skills

Thursdays: Library Day to Research for our Notebook topic (learned from Cindy Rushton). The children choose a notebook subject to study for the week (10yo: 3-D Drawing; 8yo: Dolphins; 5yo was ill today). We go to the local library, where they ask the librarian to help them locate books. They do independent research and independent check-out of the books. Our library has games, headsets, and computers for the children to use once they are done with their research.

Meanwhile, I further my learning by also researching (today: bookbinding, beading, and 20-minute gardening).

This day and time is also open for Field Trips.

Fridays: Work on Notebook topic by drawing pictures of the topic, writing about it, copywork on it, etc. We then place the research in page protectors in a "notebook" (3-ring binder). Lapbooks could also be made on the topic. This work is done independently of me, except with occasional help.

Meanwhile, I work on my own notebook (currently: making recipe mixes) or my own research from the library.

Saturdays: We don't do the rest of schoolwork, above, on Saturdays, but we do spend a bit of time in focus on Nature Study (as in, getting outside and getting dirty -- or, drawing a bug or drawing a leaf through the window because it's 93 degrees with 90% humidity). The kids have to fill their time with something, even on Saturdays, so it may as well be with learning! (Even if they are loving it and not realizing they are learning).

**** It is 12 noon on this schedule, but in reality as I write, it is 5:30pm. My family will turn into Grouchy Bears if I don't feed them soon, so I'll finish this post tonight or tomorrow. I'm being more detailed than I first planned, but I hope that will help give you ideas of how you can create your schedule to suit your personality.*****

by Lori Seaborg

No comments: