Monday, December 06, 2004

Keeping the Home -- or NOT!

Yesterday, I received a comment on this blog to my Keeping the Home post. I thought I'd share it with you and also share my response to it. (The original post has been edited slightly for swearing and crude language)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Cathy to Keeping the Home at 12/5/2004 06:44:17 PM

"Yes, I am ready to [keep the home] right now. I am done ignoring THE LORD and I am going to get off my a** and stop mastur****** and downloading rap music till 4 o'clock in the morning and going to college and all that sinful sh**. I am gonna find myself a good christian white man and make babies with him and keep his home. What was I thinking my whole life? A career? Independance? Bah. How misled I was! Thank you for showing me the light of THE LORD."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Lori Seaborg to Keeping the Home at 12/5/2004 07:01:00 PM

Having read my post again this evening, I can see why you might look at it negatively. I was obviously passionate about the subject (keeping the home), but could just as easily write on two other subjects of which I am passionate: independence and college degrees! You don't have to lose your independence or become meek and mild to a "good Christian white man" (or a man of any color, obviously) in order to be in tune with God.

My favorite thing about God is that we have a free will. NOBODY should tell you that God wants you to get married, be a stay-at-home mom, cook 3 square meals a day, homeschool, and say "Yes, Sir," to your husband. God has not written down rules regarding any of that! Instead, He just wants you to love Him. In whatever way that you would do that.

If you listen intently to Him, you might feel that He would lead you in a certain direction. I, for example, feel strongly that this semester He would have me homeschool (I take it one semester at a time) and that He would have me be a stay-at-home mom while our children are so young. Just because God has given me this desire and leading does NOT mean that I should push it onto you.

You may feel that He would have something entirely different for you. And if you don't at all want to do what He wants, He has also given you that option with the free will that He gave you.

Thank you for reading my post and for your response! I always welcome the opposite viewpoint. It helps me realize how my words come out sometimes.

Lori Seaborg
Fairhope, Alabama

No comments: