Thursday, October 07, 2004

Keeping the Home

I thought I'd take a moment this evening to explain why I am
passionate about the subject of "keeping the home." Here is a
journal entry of mine from April 29, 2004:

"Last night God seemed to have impressed Titus 2 on my heart, the
passage about teaching the younger women to 'love their husbands,'
and to 'be keepers of their homes.' Keepers of their homes. How
BEAUTIFUL that is!

Keep...keep the family together, keep it straight, keep it organized,
keep it clean, keep it happy, keep it healthy. It gets my mind a-
whirlin'!

To be a keeper of a home seems so natural to me that my heart skips a beat at just the thought of it. I'm going to pray diligently for Tim (dh). With him leading our home, and me keeping our home, our lives will be balanced, God will be honored, and our children will be blessed."


Since that journal entry several months ago, I have felt increasingly
that I am not only to be a keeper of my own home, but I am to train
my daughters to be future keepers of their homes. Not only that, I
have felt a burden to help other women discover this urge from God.
As I mentioned above, this is a natural urge to me, and I think it is
a natural urge to you, too. As women, we are created to fulfill our
role as the keeper of the home. We dream of it from a young age.

A keeper of the home is every woman, whether you are single, a single parent, a stay-at-home mom, a working mom ... you are the keeper of the home. You are the HEART of the home. God created you to be this. If you are not fulfilling this role, you are no doubt yearning for it.

Do you want to start now? It is easy. Just follow your heart. It already knows what to do.

2 comments:

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori Seaborg said...

Having read my post again this evening, I can see why you might look at it negatively. I was obviously passionate about the subject (keeping the home), but could just as easily write on two other subjects of which I am passionate: independence and college degrees! You don't have to lose your independence or become meek and mild to a "good Christian white man" (or a man of any color, obviously) in order to be in tune with God.

My favorite thing about God is that we have a free will. NOBODY should tell you that God wants you to get married, be a stay-at-home mom, cook 3 square meals a day, homeschool, and say "Yes, Sir," to your husband. God has not written down rules regarding any of that! Instead, He just wants you to love Him. In whatever way that you would do that.

If you listen intently to Him, you might feel that He would lead you in a certain direction. I, for example, feel strongly that this semester He would have me homeschool (I take it one semester at a time) and that He would have me be a stay-at-home mom while our children are so young. Just because God has given me this desire and leading does NOT mean that I should push it onto you.

You may feel that He would have something entirely different for you. And if you don't at all want to do what He wants, He has also given you that option with the free will that He gave you.

Thank you for reading my post and for your response! I always welcome the opposite viewpoint. It helps me realize how my words come out sometimes.

Lori Seaborg
Fairhope, Alabama