Tuesday, December 07, 2004

What is Your Gift?

On another blog, the writer asked us what our gift from God is and how we knew God was the One giving it to us? Here's my response:

My gift is writing. I've known I wanted to write since before I could even write legibly. Even so, I took several detours before allowing myself to do the one thing I really wanted to do. Shouldn't a life's purpose be more tough and less fun to do? I thought so.

It took years, but I finally figured out that God gives us natural talents and natural desires which should lead us toward knowing our purpose. I fought being a writer, thinking I should do something else like nursing, even though I really despise body fluids and being indoors without windows.

I'm still at the beginning stages of using my gift. I am still at the stage where I wonder what I am supposed to write (non-fiction, I think), who I am supposed to help (other mothers of young children, I think), and how I am supposed to go about getting the message out (whatever message that may be). I also wonder how to find the time to write in a day that is full of a husband, four children, a home, and homeschooling.

So, although God has shown me my gift, He has not yet shown my the way. After a week of frustration, it suddenly occured to me today that I don't have to worry about who to write to, what to write, or where to send it -- if God wants me to do this, He will open the way and provide the words.

I just wish He would yell instead of whisper.

1 comment:

Lori Seaborg said...

Lilly is also an awesome writer. Visit her blog at http://lattelal.blogspot.com/ . I need to learn how to do links! I read her stuff daily for the laughs.