Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Writing: Choosing an Audience

I wonder if other writers wonder, or wondered when starting out, what their slant would be. By this, I mean, how do you choose your audience? I want to write to mothers, yes. But which mothers? Mothers who are very conservative and KJV only? Mothers who are relaxed, Gen-Xers? Mothers who work outside the home and stanchly defend that? Mothers who stay at home with their children? Homeschooling moms? The questions go on.

It really does make a difference to answer those questions so that I will know how to write! If I'm choosing the more conservative group, I'd not say things that I might to a more Gen-X group.

You might say that I should only be myself. Well, that in and of itself is often a contradiction! I like the old-fashioned hymns, but I also like '80's music, Josh Groban, and country music. I think "sucks" is a terrible word to say, but I don't think "damn" should be a swear word because it just means something is damned, like as in "cursed." (Still, I don't say it because it is not socially acceptable). I like to cook from scratch and even want to learn to grind my own wheat for flour, but I also like to have convenience foods on hand for the days when I don't want to cook.

I'd like your thoughts on all this, especially if you could speak from your experience as a writer or a speaker.

I already know the answer: As with all questioning, the thing to do is to pray and ask God to reveal which audience He has in mind. Or perhaps I should just write from my heart and trust Him to get it into the right hands.

I'll let you know what I come up with when I come up with it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's Cynthia again . . . I am leaning toward the write from the heart and let God put it in the right hands. I am not good at labels, don't really care for them that much. It seems I am always fighting to get out of whatever box people put me in. I try not to put others in that box as well. I too am eclectic in all my interests and my favorite questions are "Why?" "Why not?" "Who said?" "Who made that rule?" "What's the point?"

I am not willing to write to a market. Maybe that means I won't get published, make any money, receive any accolades. That's ok. I will write what God puts on my heart to write. It is His message. He will provide the audience . . . even if it is just me and Him.

God bless!

http://gracefuljourney.bravejournal.com/