Sunday, January 30, 2005

Losing Focus on God

I have a zillion things to do, and here I am, blogging you and having just finished peeking at websites that I can visit later. I am leaving for Nashville tomorrow, going to a publishing conference. Taking such a huge step of faith frightens me. I know God wants me to go to this conference. I do not doubt that He wants me to write; that along with being a mom and a wife, He created me to be a writer.

It has been hard this week, to focus on God and not on how frightened I am and how unprepared I feel. My faith voice tells me to focus on God and not on the task at hand. My reality voice tells me that I have a million (ok, so it's not a "zillion," like I said earlier) things to do and that focusing on God ain't gonna' get them done!

Meanwhile, I have myself so tired or stressed - I'm not sure which - that I have tonsillitis, something I get only when I'm pushing myself too hard.

It really does not have to be this big of a deal!

I'm just going to a conference, sitting in a chair, and listening to people tell me about the publishing business. I do have to give a 30-second pitch to everyone at lunch one day, and I will need to make a few appointments to talk to editors. But, really, it's not that big of a deal!

It's amazing how we humans can blow things out of proportion. In only 6 months from now, even in just a week from now, I will be concerned about something else, so concerned that I am consumed with it -- and I will have forgotten my concern for this conference.

Psalm 119:37 "Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way." I prayed this verse this morning, after opening my Bible to it. If you also are concerned with something, pray to God to revive you in His way.

Okay, now I really do have to go and get those thousand things done (it wasn't really a "million" after all).

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Lori, good luck next week! I'll be thinking about you. Hope you feel better soon.

Hope Wilbanks said...

Check out an article I wrote last year (my first published article!) about this topic, entitled "Are Your Sights In Focus?" (Please excuse the horrible mess, I am in the process of revamping my personal website.)

Anonymous said...

By now this conference might be over. I hope it went well for you. Great insight about the way we blow some things way out of proportion.

Karin

Lori Seaborg said...

I'm back, gals! Thank you for your posts! You really do help me keep plugging along. This is my first minute, literally, online since I got back from my conference. I will post soon about it.