Saturday, January 01, 2005

2005 Resolutions

Resolutions for 2005:

My resolution is simply to be more self-disciplined this year. I am such a relaxed person by nature, but only the self-disciplined person can accomplish all that God would have for her. Here are some new disciplines I want to adopt:

1. Walk daily.

If I walk for just 15 minutes, that is about 1 mile. While walking, I could do my prayer time.

2. Read books for self-improvement.

Finish at least one book a month on a topic such as devotionals and homemaking books. Use the list at Women at Home University (it's free!).

3. Read the Bible, pray, and generally visit with God daily.

Try praying while walking for exercise; read the Bible before reading anything else.

4. Write 1000 words per day, 5 days per week.

5. Drink 4 water bottles per day, to start (16 oz. size).

6. Go to bed by midnight; get up by 7am for quiet time with God.

By keeping my goals attainable, and by not making my list long, I hope to accomplish these things. I’d like so much more! I want to add resolutions such as finish the front flower beds and teach the children one old-fashioned hymn per month. But, large lists overwhelm me. I tend to quit mid-way (early-way, really) because I get discouraged by the futility of accomplishing all that is on my list.

If I am successful in keeping the resolution of self-discipline, I will find it easier to follow the path that God has selected for me. He will then be able to use me in more ways, such as in learning those hymns with the childrne.

How about you? I encourage you to start a list of New Year’s Resolutions this weekend. Or do as I did, and choose only one resolution based on a character trait that you would like to adopt, then place goals below that resolution. Keep your list simple. You can always add more to it later.

Happy New Year!

No comments: