Thursday, January 13, 2005

Our Millenium Baby is Five

Stone didn't listen to me today. He didn't listen at all when I told him he was not allowed to turn five years old. For several months, maybe even a full year, he has talked about being five. Holding his thumb down to say he was four was not fun to him. He wants to jut out all five digits on his hand and thrust it at your face when you ask how old he is.

For months, if someone asked him what's going to happen in January, he would say, "I'm going to be five and Mama's going to cry. Ha! Ha!"

I guess being five means that you are much stronger than when you are four-years-and-three-hundred-sixty-four days.

Apparently Stone thinks so.

He wakes up this morning, says, "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY!" way too loudly for his sleeping Mama, then proceeds to pick up heavy objects.

He lifts a footstool above his head. "See?" Through my sleepy eyes, I see and nod.

Then he picks up a lamp. "Look!"

"Mmm-hmmm", I murmur.

Next, he picks up half of the office chair so that it tilts and almost falls on him. "I'm STRONG," he says.

"Oh, yes, you are very strong." I'm starting to wake up.

Finally, he walks over to our bedpost, and tries to pick up our king-sized mahogany bed with me and his Daddy in it.

And you know what?! The most amazing thing happens....

No, I'm kidding, he can't do it. But he grunts and groans and gives it a good try.

Catching on, I say, "Are you strong because you're five now?"

He doesn't answer, but smiles, pulls up his shirt sleeve and shows me his very big muscle.

Happy Birthday, Teddy Bear. I'm so glad we have your strong self to love.

2 comments:

shannon said...

Very nice, Lori :) Love your sense of humor, and I can totally relate to those mixed feelings when our little ones are no longer so little.

Shannon Woodward

Lori Seaborg said...

Yes, you can relate. I know, because of one of your chapters in your book (A Whisper in Winter, for those reading this post). You talked of how your boy was getting so big. My 9yo is as tall as a pole of beans and doesn't need me as much anymore. Now the 5yo thinks he's so big. I still have the baby, though! At least for a few more years...