Thursday, March 31, 2005

A Rainy Day

It's been a lovely day...my kind of day. It has rained NON-stop, and I mean that literally, all day long.

Sometimes it's nice to have a little sniffle so you have an excuse to lay around for a while. Today, I don't have a sniffle, but I do have rain. It's nice to know that today my children are staying clean and I'm not going to be overwhelmed with an extra load of sandy, wet, muddy clothes from them being outside. It's been nice just to spend time indoors as a family.

We spent the morning reading, playing on the computer, playing on the XBox (it's Spring Break, you know), and doing as few chores as possible.

Tim and the baby had a delicious nap this afternoon with the bedroom's outside door open and the window cracked. A breeze blew in and the rain fell. They slept for ages like that.

While they were sleeping, I taught our 7yo daughter how to make "Yarn Babies." Midway, our 9yo son became interested in our project and changed some of the instructions to create "Yarn Ninjas" out of black yarn. Like Pioneer children, our kids were busy for hours creating and playing with their simple yarn dolls. (Tomorrow our son wants me to buy green yarn to create "Yarn Army Guys" complete with a grey-yarn gun).

After I taught the kids how to make the yarn babies, I worked on making homemade pretzels, something I used to specialize in high school but never take the time to do anymore.

We finished the evening with Pizza, Popcorn, and Pretzels (we often eat "P" foods with our pizza, so we can call it a P-p-p-party). Before the baby's bedtime, we watched "The Secret Garden" together - a movie I never tire of seeing.

Thank God for rainy days!

1 comment:

Darlene Schacht said...

Hello Supermom! I love yarn babies, I have one that died several years ago and so of course this post brings up some emotional issues for me, but I will get over it.

I haven't seen a yarn baby in about 30 years, so she would be full grown by now, can you imagine that? We could go shopping together, go to movies, and I could cuddle her when I am cold.

She was pink.