Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Worrying About Money

Sunday's Extreme Makeover Home Edition was for a family whose man of the house had lost his job earlier in the year. As a result of the job loss, the family was homeless and living in a shelter when the show rescued them. I saw tears in Tim's eyes and felt them in mine several times during the 2 hour episode.

It was so recent that we were experiencing the pain of Tim's job loss. Like almost all job terminations, our was an unexpected, cruel blow (for the story, click here and scroll down to the December 11, 2004 entry).

In the middle of the episode, Tim , who was holding the baby and stroking her hair, said with a catch in his voice, "I hope I can always take care of all of you."

I know he will, because I know that God will.

This is God's promise for us:

"And He said to His disciples, "For this reason I say to you, do not worry about {your} life, {as to} what you will eat; nor for your body, {as to} what you will put on.

For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.

Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and {yet} God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds!

And which of you by worrying can add a {single} hour to his life's span?

If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters?

Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.

But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is {alive} today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more {will He clothe} you? You men of little faith!

And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying.

For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things.

But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you." (Luke 12:22-31)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great section of scripture, and it's true. Put God first and take action on His promises and they'll come to pass.

Lori Seaborg said...

When I garden and come across a particularly beautiful flower, I like to say, "Not even Solomon in all his finest was ever dressed as one of these."

When I see our bluejays or robins come to the birdbath, I am reminded that they do not store up their food. God provides for them daily.

He loves us much more than the flowers and birds. We have only to trust Him.

Shannon said...

Lori, This is so true. Not only do I believe this, I know it to be true - He is faithful and amazing in his provisions. When the worry and doubt creep in, hold to this - He PROMISES to provide for our needs. Here's another few verses to reflect upon:
Psalm 34-9,10
Matthew 6-31-34
Phillipians 4;19
They have fortified me in very diificult times. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these scriptures. My dh, our 3 boys, & I are going through a tuff financial situation as well. Three yrs. ago my dh was laid-off from his job. His former employer hired him back through a temp agency. And with in a few months my dh was hired back full-time at this co. But he his rate of pay wasn't as much as it was when he was laid-off. He's been back with this company now for 3 yrs. & he hasn't had any raises. The only thing that has changed is our insurance has gone up. I have been discouraged at times too, but I keep reminding myself, that the word of God says in Hebrews 13:5 "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave nor forsake you." God is so faithful. Within these last 3 years we had our third son. All our needs were met, & we moved into a bigger house, that we could afford. (Thank you Jesus!) God is good. And He will provide what is needed!!

Lori Seaborg said...

Jezel,

I wish I could email you to say thank you for your words. Hopefully you'll read this! You gave me a wonderful verse to remember today. God bless!