Thursday, February 24, 2005

Contentment & My Favorite NF Book

If you are needing a bit of inspiration to get back into God's arms, or if you are feeling down, or if you are struggling with contentment and worry, then read my favorite non-fiction book:

Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow

The book deals with those issues (discontentment, anxiety, worry), but in a non-preaching sort of way. The book is easy to read and full of anecdotes (little stories). It literally changed my life, which is a bit cliche to say, but is true.

I was feeling discontent in our 1200 square foot home with four children ages 6 and under. I wanted so desperately for God to move us to the country, to a bigger and better home, but we had just lost a business so moving was not an option. We wouldn't be able to get another home loan now that our credit rating was ruined.

Me, a country girl at heart, was stuck in the middle of a small city with codes that would not allow me to raise even a chicken. Although we had a yard, there were no climbing trees on our property for the children to enjoy. No tadpoles, snakes, bunnies. We had no garage, no shed, no basement, and no attic. In other words, every thing the six of us owned had to fit into that 1200 square foot place. Not easy for Americans!

I was one discontent mama, living my days in that little house with so many small children around me. Tim would drive an hour each way to work, taking our only car with him. For 11 hours each day, I was alone with the children, wallowing in my discontentment and self-pity.

One day I was at a Bible study (my mom invited me to go with her so we crammed the children into her car) and someone quoted these words:

* Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.

* Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.

* Never compare your lot with another's.

* Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.

* Never dwell on tomorrow. Remember that tomorrow is God's - not ours.

I didn't hear any other words for the rest of that Bible study hour. In my mind, I only heard the above words over and over. As soon as the Bible study was over, I grabbed the woman who had quoted the words. She said she got them out of Calm My Anxious Heart and allowed me to borrow her book.

I did not go home and become immediately content that day. No, my discontent had grown over many years, so it was much too large to release in one day. It did decrease, though, when I focused less on things and more on God. I learned, over time, that contentment will bring you peace.

The peace that follows contentment peace is worth accepting your circumstances.



In Philippians 4:11-13, Paul says, "For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to be content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do anything through him who gives me strength."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and in I Thessalonians it says, "In everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.." I've felt the same way as you more than once. Thanks for the timely reminder to count my blessings.