Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Today, May 17, 2005

May should NOT be flying by so quickly. It seems like it should still be April! Here's what's been happening (in a blur) at our house:

Losing...four chickies to the neighbors' dogs. They (the chicks) are rebellious teenagers at this point, and will not stay in their pen.

Wondering...and imagining...why two helicopters circled our house and our neighbors' houses yesterday, several times each! Are they looking for a fugitive? Is the Army Corp of Engineers considering clearing our Hurricane-clogged river? Are they rich land-hunters who want to check out the area so they hired the military then the police to look? Are they searching for a dead body? (just in case, I decided not to look in the river for at least a full day) Are they spies, wondering Who She Is and Why There Are Chickens Running Loose Around Her? Are they terrorists who are going to shoot a gun out the open doorway of the copter? (I ducked under a tree, just in case). I wonder if we'll ever find out.


Listening... to Internet radio talk shows, an interesting concept. Here's two I found recently: WAHM Talk Radio and Homeschool Talk Radio (WAHM = Work at Home Mom)

Roasting...a chicken (no, not one of mine!) all afternoon in the oven. My "secret" for great chickens and turkies is to put bits of butter and garlic cloves under the skin and a few in the cavity. Mmm, moist! I'm roasting this 5 lb. beauty for 4-5 hours at just 250. I'll keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get too done, and I'm wrapping her in foil until an hour before dinner.

Inviting...you to join my newsletter list. You can join by going to the list at Keeping the Home (a Yahoo group) or simply by emailing a note with nothing in it (or whatever you like, nobody will read it) to KeepingtheHome-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . I send out the newsletter no more than weekly, no less than monthly. In it, I put practical help on homeschooling, homemaking, and motherhood. I also post a "devotional" of sorts, which often comes from this blog. The rest of the content is original to the newsletter.

Worshipping...God again at 5:45am up the hill, past the cows,and between the cotton field and the corn field, but ::::COUGH:::: the farmer was up early, too, in his tractor and was spraying something horrid onto his corn. It made my nose immediately run! I'm glad I garden organically.

Reading
...Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl. Gracious me, I've been convicted!

Enjoying...some old college buddies from Indiana who came to visit this week. Tim and I used to go on "double dates" with Britt and Jodi in college. We have all been very busy in the 12 years since college -- together, we two couples have 9 children ages 9 and under! We have had a very.noisy.house.

Have a great Tuesday!

3 comments:

shannon said...

You are BUSY!

Loved your description of the roasting chicken ... it made me decide, on the spot, that I'm going to buy a whole chicken when I head out to the store in about ten minutes. I like to cook mine low and slow, too, and I like it best with a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and fresh rosemary rubbed under the skin and inside the cavity. Oh, how incredible that smells and tastes!

Thanks for the reminder, Lori. :)

Lori Seaborg said...

Ooooo, Shannon, I had balsamic vinegar and rosemary in the house -- I'll definitely try your way next time!

Our chicken was wonderful. It was moist and tasted garlicky in just the right way. In fact, I think - no, I'm quite sure - it was better than the rotisserie chicken I bought already prepared on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Lori, thank you sooo much for mentioning WAHM Talk Radio on your blog! I enjoyed reading your recent posts very much too!