Thursday, May 12, 2005

An Early Morning

"I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in Your Word."
Psalm 119:147


What in the world was David thinking when he wrote that verse? Maybe he was a Morning Person, one of those half-crazed souls who actually like getting up before they have to.

Or maybe he saw some benefit in waking up early to spend time with God. A benefit that made the struggle of getting up worth it all. Is there something to mornings that us Night Owls are missing out on?

I've been sleeping waaaay past dawn, but the other day I did set an alarm for 6 or so and was out a'walkin' with the Lord by 6:30 (it took 30 minutes to get my eyes opened).

It was a wonderful time with just God, Santana (our neighbor's dog, who I call our "Free Dog" because she's always at our house), and me. I walked past the Lady Banks roses growing between the bamboo stalks, picked a cutting of honeysuckle to sniff Heaven on the way, and made my way up the hill-that-looks-little-when-driving-but-feels-like-a-mountain-when-walking. At the top of the hill I passed Farmer Bishop's cows and 4 calves behind white fencing. Next we walked between the corn field and the newly planted cotton field.

Turning to come back home, I saw one of God's finest paintings. The sky's sunrise was pink- and blue-streaked. The sun had not yet come over the tops of the oaks and pines.

It was a magnificient sight. With a handful of wild blackberries in my mouth and that cutting of honeysuckle at my nose, I thanked God for the morning. I was so glad to have been there when God was speaking so loudly through his nature.

Now, to get myself to get up that early again...

3 comments:

Fran said...

I've been lurking on your blog for some time now (don't worry, I'm not terribly scary! I found you through Shannon's windsraps.) I had to comment on this one though. I have been struggling to re-establish my morning quiet time since my daughter was born. She'll be a year on Sunday (tells you how good I'm doing!) For the last two weeks I have actually gotten up and had my time with the Lord. It's been like a breath of fresh air in a stale room. Thanks for reminding me that I am not the only one who likes to sleep late. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori I even saw the sunrise on the mountains this morning when sweet Katie decided to join me in bed......it was seven though...love Moom

Lori Seaborg said...

Fran, I am so glad to meet you! Please come again! You don't seem toooo scary. :)