Sunday, October 09, 2005

Three Things

I've been doing three things lately.  Just three, because when you're a mama of four, all the other "things" you do are entirely taken for granted by your brood.  I hear that one day I will wish for grimy fingerprints on the walls, and floors to mop, and mouths to feed.  But for now, I am not wishing any of that; I am living it!  Daily.  So this is what I've been doing when I'm not doing Mom stuff:
 
1.  Hatching baby chicks.  Technically, God is hatching them, but I'm watching it happen (every 10 minutes or less, admittedly).  This is our third hatch of chicks since we got our chickens a year-and-a-half ago, but it is our first hatching without the help of a mama hen.  She decided to quit being a mother just as they started to hatch, spreading the eggs around (breaking one, sadly), and giving up on the whole agonizing mess.  I know how to sound like a mama hen, at least I think I sound like one, so I make noises at the baby chicks every ten minutes as I stare at them hatching.  Did you know it takes an entire day for them to pop fully out of their shell?  Quite slow, indeed!
 
2.  Making my first Pine Needle Basket.  There is something about our first break from the hot summer that makes me crafty (this usually happens in September, not October!).  We have Long Leaf Southern Pines on our property and the needles are falling in plentiful supply.   So, I thought I'd take up the Native American craft of pine needle basketry.  I can't believe how easy it is.   Here are the instructions I am using. 
 
3.  Starting a Prayer Journal.  Honestly, this journal dates back to 2001, but only has a few entries in it.  This week, though, I have been faithful to use my prayer journal for seven days now.  It only takes 21 days to create a habit, right?  I'm 1/3 there.  Prayer is the hardest thing for me to do each day.  I'm talking about the sit-down-with-Jesus kind of prayers, not the fleeting ones that are in my head all day long.  It seems that the kids have a mom-needs-to-be-alone radar.  Well, I can't entirely blame the kids.  I am also a complete scatter brain, so my prayers easily turn into thoughts about what to do that day, or what needs to be done, and Oh! I need to return the library books, better get them ready....  So the prayers don't get to the heart-to-heart level that they ought.  Enter prayer journaling, which for me is a natural fit.  I can write my heart out and keep focused.  When I do get sidetracked (I always do), I just jot down my bright idea, then get back to my journal.  And when the kids interrupt, I lift my pen, answer them sweetly, and start writing again. 
 
I'll keep you updated on these three things.  Hope you are having a great weekend!
 
by Lori Seaborg

No comments: